Friday, July 14, 2006

It's war

Day 5

Two powerful blasts took place a few seconds ago as I am writing these lines in an Internet cafe in Hamra. We are shocked and confused and frightened.

I woke up at 04:40 in the morning hearing two powerful explosions. Later, I learnt from the news that the airport road and other main crossroads in the southern part of Beirut had been targeted.
M and I reached one of these crossroads, next to Mar Mikhael church, at about 11am.





I was taking these pictures of the crater and the shattered buildings when people started to run away in panic shouting ta'iran, ta'iran! ("planes"). It was a classic moment of pure mass panic. We ran back to the car with all our cameras and backpacks through mud and potholes and our driver Chadi managed to escape in reverse and as fast as possible.
Israeli planes actually hit the airport at about 11:10, apparently for the first time in daylight. More bombings against Hezbollah-related places took place in the afternoon.

I still have to decide if I am staying here or joining the evacuation plan of Italian nationals on Saturday morning. There's one word to describe how I feel: frantic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't stay. It's too dangerous. You can always go back when it's more stable. If you don't leave now, how will you leave?

Sat Jul 15, 03:54:00 AM UTC  

Post a Comment

<< Home